Chikungunya virus infection in Caribbean islands and the Americas (Update)
02 Dec 2014
The outbreak of chikungunya virus infection in various Caribbean islands and the Americas is ongoing; WHO/PAHO has published further epidemiological data on countries reporting autochthonous transmission.
(Via Pan American Health Organisation - accessed 10/12/14)
- Sint Maarten, 425 confirmed cases.
- Guyana, 76 confirmed cases.
- British Virgin Islands, 20 confirmed cases.
- US Virgin Islands, 1236 suspected cases, 84 confirmed.
- UK Virgin Islands, 44 confirmed cases.
- Bahamas, 79 confirmed cases.
- Barbados, 1350 suspected cases, 77 confirmed.
- Curacao, 8000 suspected cases, 345 confirmed.
- Dominica, 3745 suspected cases, 171 confirmed.
- Anguilla, 49 confirmed cases.
- Antigua and Barbuda, 1376 suspected cases, 18 confirmed.
- Aruba, 187 suspected cases, 43 confirmed.
- Jamaica, 1023 suspected cases, 75 confirmed.
- Montserrat, 8 suspected cases, 11 confirmed.
- St Kitts and Nevis, 432 suspected cases, 27 confirmed.
- St Lucia, 700 suspected cases, 196 confirmed.
- St Vincent and the Grenadines, 329 suspected cases, 165 confirmed.
- Suriname, 594 confirmed cases.
- Trinidad and Tobago, 3300 confirmed cases, 147 confirmed.
- Turks and Caicos, 19 confirmed cases.
- Cayman Islands, 12 confirmed cases.
- Grenada, 2826 suspected cases, 5 confirmed.
- Belize, 3 confirmed cases.
- Costa Rica, one confirmed case.
- El Salvador, 123 072 suspected cases, 157 confirmed.
- Guatemala, 6334 suspected cases, 8 confirmed.
- Honduras, 185 suspected cases, 9 confirmed.
- Nicaragua, 1058 reported cases, 512 confirmed.
- Panama, 32 confirmed cases.
- Dominican Republic, 522 022 suspected, 84 confirmed.
- French Guiana, 6885 suspected, 4612 confirmed.
- Guadeloupe, 80 962 suspected, 430 confirmed.
- Haiti, 64 695 suspected, 14 confirmed.
- Martinique, 78 345 suspected, 1515 confirmed.
- Puerto Rico, 18 109 suspected cases, 3385 confirmed.
- Saint Barthelemy (St Barts), 1014 suspected, 142 confirmed.
- Saint Martin, 3771 suspected, 793 confirmed.
- Colombia, 22 034 suspected cases, 338 confirmed.
- Venezuela, 26 451 reported cases, 328 confirmed.
- Brazil, 1750 suspected cases, 682 confirmed.
- Paraguay, one confirmed case.
- United States of America, 11 confirmed cases.
- Mexico, 14 confirmed cases.
Advice for Travellers
Avoidance of mosquito bites, particularly during daylight hours, by covering up with clothing, the use of bite avoidance measures such as repellent and bed nets is advised. Elimination of breeding sites around hotel rooms/houses is advised for longer term stays.
Travellers intending to donate blood on their return from a chikungunya virus risk area may wish to speak with a blood transfusion advisor before attending to give blood. This is because visitors to chikungunya virus risk areas must wait 4 weeks after their return before donating. Additionally, if they have displayed any symptoms of chikungunya virus infection, they must wait 6 months before donating.