Chikungunya in Southern France (Update 3)
25 Oct 2017
On 21 October 2017 the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) reported 17 cases of chikungunya in Var, France as of 15 October. There have been 11 cases in the area of Cannet-des-Maures. A second, linked, cluster has been identified in Taradeau (13km away) and involves 6 cases.
Advice for Travellers
No vaccine is available against chikungunya. Avoidance of mosquito bites is the only reliable means of prevention. Methods of bite avoidance include:
- Wearing long, loose, lightly coloured clothing to cover up the skin.
- The use of insect repellant containing DEET applied to any exposed skin.
- The use of permethrin, impregnated mosquito nets.
- The use of air conditioning if available and/or mesh screening of windows and doors.
- Eradication of mosquito breeding sites around the home (e.g. open containers, old tyres or flower pots that may collect water).
For further information see Chikungunya Fever.