Heatwave alert for mainland Europe
03 Jul 2019
The World Meteorological Organization reports that many regions in mainland Europe are currently experiencing a heatwave caused by warm air masses (and Saharan dust) arriving from Africa. Spain was the first country to be affected by intense heat, which gradually spread to France, Austria, Germany and Switzerland.
Advice to travellers
Heat acclimatisation takes time; travellers can undertake some simple adaptations to reduce their risk of heat related illness:
- Limit physical exertion until acclimatised.
- Maintain adequate hydration.
- If urine becomes dark increase fluid intake- this is a good indicator of hydration status.
- Wear light and airy clothing.
- A hand held personal fan may prove invaluable when it is not possible to escape the heat.
- Avoid heat exposure during the hottest part of the day.
- Take advantage of air-conditioning and shade where possible.
Further advice relating to heat can be found on Fitfortravel